Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cordelia the Amazing

On monday morning, when our crew first got on the worksite, we immediately had one of the Work Camp Famous "God Sightings". My resident, Cordelia, is 98 years old. The very first thing she said to the campers on my crew was, "This is my cat Tinkerboy. KICK HIM!", which she followed with a cackle. She is the cutest resident ever. On the first day, awaiting our arrival, she made us chocolate cake with peanutbutter icing, grapes, and an assortment of store-bought cookies. Cordelia is absolutely a gift from God. She is one of those people who are so fun-loving and life-loving you cant stop smiling when you are around them.
Yesterday, for example, the campers got themselves in a bit of a paint war (and when i say a bit... you know it was more than that) and 'Cordy' was sitting on her back porch watching and laughing along with us. I went back to work on the outside wall and Cordy put her wet hand on my face. At first i was confused until i saw the hand print on the wall. Cordy had stuck her hand out the window into wet paint and stuck a handprint right on my face. She not only laughed a long, she played a long as if she wasnt 98, but 8. She continued to direct us who to hit, and egg us on until our crew leader came out and told us to quit playing, keep working.
Then, when it was time to go, she seemed sad that we had to leave, but when we were leaving I had to wash my painted hands so i went inside and as I was leaving, she said, "Goodbye, I love you!" She truely means it too. She is just so happy to have us around and so happy to see us working for her, she tries to get us to stay the night in her two empy bedrooms organizing us every day, two in the bedroom on the right, two in the bedroom on the left, one on the couch, and the other in the recliner. She loves us, and we just adore her.

- Kallan

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could meet Cordelia - she sounds like the perfect 98-year old! What a special experience.

    ReplyDelete